Tights vs. Leggings

    I consider myself a very lucky blogger in that I rarely if ever get anything even remotely resembling a negative comment. But every once in awhile someone will respectfully chime in with a, "that item of clothing/cut of dress/color/etc. just isn't for me" type of observation, and it's sometimes this type of comment that ends up being the most thought-provoking and productive. Such was the case several days ago when one commenter mentioned that she finds leggings to be really unattractive (though of course saying it in the nicest possible way, as my readers are all awesome people who would never thoughtlessly hurl unkind words at me). And for the next few days I contemplated leggings, because in fact I used to be opposed to them myself and have only recently come around to wearing them the way I'm showing here.

    The reason I've recently seen the light has everything to do with the weather here, as I've mentioned before. Leggings are one of the only ways I can achieve a more seasonally-appropriate look while not freezing to death or scaring my coworkers with my golfball-sized goosebumps. But I get why many people don't like them, I really do. On many figures they are leg-truncating and thigh-widening, two features that most women try desperately to avoid. But even for those of you who think it'll be a cold day in hell before you'd ever don a pair of these hideous things, I'm about to explain why you just might have a need for them in your wardrobe after all.

    If you hate the chopped legs look of leggings, then forget about them for the warmer months, but consider them as a layering piece for winter wear. On really cold days you can layer a pair of long socks over them when wearing dresses and skirts, which gives you extra warmth while also covering the bottom of the leggings. But if you're just going to cover up the bottom hems, then why not just buy tights, you ask? Because oftentimes that extra layer means that your shoes won't fit comfortably, whereas with leggings you'll only have one layer that goes all the way into the shoes.

    The other advantage of leggings is that they tend to be available in a wider variety of colors, patterns, and textures than tights. So although you may be relegated to wearing them only with boots, don't be so hasty to pass up that amazing silver lamé or Spiderman pair simply because they have no feet.

    One last thing I'll point out: though leggings are frequently built a lot like pants, and are often thicker than their footed cousins the tights, they are still NOT PANTS.

    Shirt: Target
    Tunic: Forever 21
    Waistcoat: Last Kiss
    Pettipants, worn as shorts
    Leggings: Kersh

Post Title

Tights vs. Leggings


Post URL

http://thecalaverakid.blogspot.com/2009/06/tights-vs-leggings.html


Visit thecalaverakid for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List